The ticks are back and they’re bad! Wisconsin is considered to be at high risk statewide for Lyme disease! This month especially has been known to be an exceptionally bad time all across the country for ticks. Luckily for you there are steps to take to ward off ticks and their hosts.
Here are some options to make your property less attractive to ticks and their hosts:
- Keep grass mowed.
- Remove leaf litter, brush and weeds at the edge of the lawn.
- Discourage rodent activity.
- Move firewood piles and bird feeders away from the house.
- Keep pets out of the woods to reduce ticks brought back home.
- Use plantings that don’t attract deer or exclude deer through various types of fencing.
- Move children’s swing sets and sandboxes away from the woodland edge and place them on a wood chip or mulch foundation.
- Trim tree branches and shrubs around the lawn edge to let in more sunlight.
Here are some links for more information on Ticks and Lyme disease: